Mr A heard nothing further from the Governor of Mugla province, which comes as no surprise really. He did however come home last night and spent some time discussing the problem with the Muhtar.
Although the Muhtar is pretty useless at doing his job, he does seem able to respond if he's pushed. And Mr A is pretty good at pushing. It would seem that the Muhtar doesn't have a problem with the dogs being here from a personal point of view, but he is having pressure put upon him from others in the village. He isn't sure how to keep everyone happy, and was prepared to listen to advice from Mr A.
They both agreed that the dogs are at risk if they stay here. The Muhtar has also heard the rumours about people being prepared to "dispose" of them, and has made it known that he will not tolerate this. (Although what he would actually do about it, I don't know).
Our main concern is the safety of the dogs and it was decided that as many as possible should go to the Milas council shelter. Most of you know what I think about shelters here. Some are pretty awful, but thankfully the Milas one is fairly new. It's clean. Well maintained, and the dogs looked after. There is little point in waiting for the Belediye to take action on this, because clearly it won't happen anytime soon, if at all, and in the meantime the dogs are at risk.
So last night around 11.00pm Mr A and the Muhtar set off to round up and capture some of the dogs.
It was by no means an easy task, trying to get hold of dogs that are obviously scared, but after an hour or so they managed to get three of the six puppies, and then drove them over to the Milas shelter, where they are now safe.
For Mr A to drive over from Gumbet to the village, then to the Milas shelter on the far outskirts of the town, back to the village and then to Gumbet again early in the morning, is costing him a lot in petrol. We just cannot afford for him to do this too often, and frankly he has also had little sleep, which affects him being able to cope with his 16 hour a day job.
He will try to get home once or twice a week, but in the meantime the Muhtar has promised to go out again this evening, with help, and capture some more dogs to take to the shelter. He has agreed to do this for as long as it takes to get all the dogs to safety. We have to take him at his word...what else can we do? Mr A will keep in touch with him by phone to make sure this is happening.
I have no doubt that this is going to be a problem that won't just disappear. More dogs are bound to arrive, and each time they do, we will have to get them to safety. In the meantime, I am continuing to feed the dogs while they are here. I am avoiding any discussion or conversation with anyone in the village while I'm doing this. Just keeping my head down and getting on with it...for as long as it takes.
Fingers crossed the Muhtar sticks to his promises.