Sunday, 17 August 2014

A happy ending for one dog...hopefully!

I haven't blogged for almost a week, due to various reasons.  The internet connection here is very bad at the moment.  It's slower than usual.  It's so hot, it's difficult to find the energy to write.  But I have also been busy feeding the dogs in the village, and trying to sort out the situation with the dog owned by the sheep women down the hill.  The story of this dog is in my last post CLICK HERE

This dog turned out to be female on closer inspection.  I called her Sally.  Once I give a dog a name I feel responsible for her.

On Tuesday  I went down to the sheep women's house to check on Sally but she was nowhere to be seen.  I thought that perhaps when I had released her from the rope she had run away, or maybe the owners had put her somewhere else.  On Wednesday she was back, tied up again to a small tree next to their house.  I saw the old lady (her name is Sultan) and told her to give Sally water.  I also gave her some dogfood.  At this point I am having to control myself.  Trying not to interfere too much or I might make matters worse for the dog.

On Thursday morning, I checked again on my way into the village.  It was a little later and the sun was beating down.  Sally was still tied up, no shelter from the sun.  Her water bowl just contained an inch of mud.  I cleaned and refilled the bowl, fed her and also gave her worm tablets and flea treatment.  As much as I could I tried to explain that the conditions for Sally were dreadful.  As usual these people pay lip service.  They nod in agreement, but not much sinks in.

After I had fed the village dogs and returned to the house, I sorted out a long rope, a collar and a lead and went back down to see Sally.  I put the collar on her, attached it to the lead, which was joined to the rope, and moved her down in front of the house under a large tree.  All the time I'm doing this, Sultan was standing next to me with a stick.  The dog was terrified of her and quite distressed, making it difficult for me to move her.  I tried to move the woman away, but she insisted on staying close, and every so often grabbing at Sally in an aggressive manner,thinking she was helping me.  Several times I shouted "no" and pushed her hands away.

On Friday morning I had arranged to meet David in the village.  We had planned to go shopping in Milas and also to pick up some more sacks of dog food from the vet.

On the way down, I went to check on Sally.  She was back up next to the house, in the sun, again tied up with the short rope around her neck.  I was furious.  I called Sultan and asked where the collar,lead and rope were.  She told me that Sally had slipped through the collar and escaped.  I told her to bring the collar to me.  I adjusted it to fit, and again moved her down under the tree. The man of the house turned up during this activity and offered his knife for me to cut the rope.   All the time I'm trying to do this, the bloody women was hitting the dog.  I'm shouting at her and pushing her hands away, trying to stop myself from actually punching her in the face!

After shopping, David and I returned to the village.  We stopped to check on Sally and at first couldn't see her.  When we went up towards the house and asked Sultan where she was, she pointed to a shed at the back of the yard.  In there was a cow and the floor covered with excrement, and tied up with a short rope next to the cow was Sally.  At least she was in the shade, but she had no water, so we filled up her bowl. 

At this point I was concerned that as Sally is a Staffie type, that she was being kept to breed from and I was determined to rescue her somehow from these appalling living conditions.

I phoned Mr A who said he would come home that night.  He didn't arrive until late so left it until Saturday to speak to the people with the dog.   (He has left his job in Bodrum, and is now on his way back to Kas, near Antalya again.   Another story...don't ask!!)

We decided that we wanted to get Sally spayed if the owners agreed.  If they didn't agree then we would be certain they were going to use her for breeding.  When Mr A went down to see them, they agreed.  He phoned me and asked me to go down and join him.

It turned out that Sultan's daughter died yesterday.  I expressed my condolences, but then realised that every cloud has a silver lining.  One of the sons asked us to please take the dog.  He said the old woman can hardly take care of herself, let alone a dog.  I was tempted to say that she seemed to have enough energy to beat the dog, but I bit my tongue.

We weren't quite sure what we were going to do with Sally.   We tried to bring her into our garden, but she and the rest of our dogs went absolutely berserk.  Sally broke free from her collar and ran.  This was clearly not going to work, and as Mr A was about to set off for Kas, there was no way that I could try to integrate her into my pack on my own.  It was too much of a risk.

He phoned the vet and spoke to Mehmet's wife to ask if they knew anyone who would take her.  They said they knew of a shelter, miles away, but she could only go there if spayed first, but that they would be unable to do this for several days.  So we felt the only other alternative was for Mr A to take her to Milas shelter on his way to Kas.  It wasn't an ideal solution, but far better than the way she was currently living.

Then Mr A remembered a man he knew in Milas who, when we were trying to rehome the pups months ago (the siblings of my three pups), had shown an interest in taking one for his daughter.  We successfully rehomed them in the village, but Mr A said he would let the man know if he came across another dog that he thought might be suitable.  Mr A phoned the man and he said he was interested.  His daughter is about 16 years old, so a responsible age.

We tied up Sally outside our house while Mr A packed his things for his journey.  At one point Sally escaped again, but Mr A managed to find her.  Eventually they set off in the car, along with a sack of food to help out the new owner.



If it turned out that she (or they) weren't suitable, then Mr A would revert back to taking Sally to the shelter.

I received a phone call later to say that they were very happy with Sally, and she seemed to like them.  They have an enclosed garden so she will be safe.  We will keep in touch with them and check from time to time, to see that Sally is OK.  They have agreed to have her spayed and all her vaccinations done.

It's great to have one happy ending amidst all the misery.   I remember seeing a quote on Facebook recently, which seems very apt  "'Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever"

P.S.  Having now stocked up with 6 more sacks of dried food (I am getting through more than one sack a week), plus frontline treatments for Monty and Tommy, my fund is pretty low again, so if anyone would like to donate a little something, to enable me to continue feeding the dogs in the village, it would be very much appreciated.  You will find the Paypal button at the top of this blog.  And thanks again to the 5 friends who are donating regularly monthly amounts...you know who you are....your continued support really helps.

10 comments:

  1. Well done Linda and Mr. A. Hopefully, Sally will now have a good life.
    I am sorry the lady's daughter died, but being cruel is no excuse.
    Like you, I go through one sack of dog food per week even though my crew are not eating as much as usual in this heat.
    F.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fleur. Fingers crossed for Sally.

      The dog food goes so quickly..at least one sack a week, and that's not including the pasta, 7 x 500g pkts a week, plus tins of wet food mixed with the pasta. My kitchen seems to get taken over by dog food!

      Delete
  2. Bad start for poor Sally but lucky you stumbled across her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's awful to say it, but the timing was right for removing her, with the daughter dying. I'm not sure we would have managed it otherwise.

      Delete
  3. How good to hear a happy ending, Ayak. I hope Sally is very happy in her new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Perpetua. We'll check from time to time to make sure xx

      Delete
    2. Do you know the starfish story? A man is walking along a beach, where hundreds of starfish have been washed up and are drying out in the sun. Every few yards he picks one up and throws it back into the sea. A second man joins him and asks why he is bothering. 'You're wasting your time - you can't make a difference; there are so many'. The first man picks up another starfish, throws it back into the sea and says 'I can make a difference to that one'

      Delete
    3. I don't usually post comments from Anonymous unless there's a name at the end, but yes I have heard the starfish story, and it's a good one isn't it? Thankyou xxx

      Delete
    4. At least this little girl stands a chance. As you say...the old so and so has enough energy to beat a defenceless animal...makes you wonder how she has been treated herself to take things out on something powerless...

      Delete
    5. Helen, women of her generation, brought up in these villages, know no different. I doubt very much if her attitude can be changed at her age. I think our energies are best employed trying to educate the younger generation.

      Conditions for this dog were appalling. I'm so glad we got her away from there. xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x