Pages

Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Super fleas

Firstly, I am now back on proper internet as of yesterday.  5 days without connection and lots of phone calls to TTNet, which didn't help at all.  The excuses this time were, "it's your modem",    "the engineers were updating the system", "there's a problem in your area, the engineers are working on it, please wait".  Just take your pick.  TTNet customer service never have a clue what's going on, so they make it up as they go along.

 Being disconnected also makes me realise how isolated I am, and how I have come to rely on the internet for social interaction.   I really do need to get more of a real life.

Thankyou for comments on my previous posts, and apologies for not replying to them.  I have a lot of catching up to do, so forgive me, and I will get back to normal as soon as possible.

The village dogs:  There are still 5 dogs in the village.  Either the others were taken by the Belediye to the shelter, or removed or worse.  I have no idea because no-one is talking.  The dogs that remain have certainly not been to the shelter and neutered as they have no ear tags.  I am continuing to feed them and hoping to find a solution as soon as Mr A finishes work in a couple of weeks.

So...fleas.   All of my 9 dogs have them.   Lots of them.  There seems to be a new type of flea this year.  A super flea which is indestructible.  I have used sprays, spot on solutions, shampoos, paraband collars, etc etc.  Nothing seems to be working.

I had a long conversation with my vet last night to see if there was any other way to deal with this problem.  He has recommended another spot on treatment which is more effective.  I am getting 15 doses of this because Monty and Tommy will only need half a dose, so I will have enough to do the village dogs.   I'm also getting two kinds of liquid which have to be mixed with water and sprayed inside the house and in the garden.

I am collecting all this stuff from the clinic this morning.  At this point in time I have no idea what it will all cost, but it's a problem that needs immediate action.

My fund is more or less depleted.  I recently bought up the last of some 15kg sacks of dog food in Tansas which were on offer at 39.99 lira a sack.  It was too good an opportunity to miss and I have enough to hopefully last for the next couple of months.

Thankyou again everyone who has donated.  Without your help it would be impossible to continue.  If anyone else would like to help, you will find the Paypal button at the top of this page.  Anything you can manage, no matter how small, will be so gratefully received.   Thankyou.

8 comments:

  1. Yes the fleas are brutal this year. I have also tried a few different methods unsuccessfully. I find I am vacuuming constantly in the hope of at least getting rid of a few of them.

    In Australia you could buy flea 'bombs'. Light em up and leave yr house. It would kill anything and everything, a bonus in Oz with all those nasty spiders. Can't get them here sadly :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These fleas are certainly brutal Janey, and a nuisance. I'm sure you can imagine what it's like trying to get rid of them from 9 dogs! Oh wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get the Australian bombs here?

      So far I have now spot treated all 9 dogs. I attempted the spraying of the house, but the spray bottle stopped working halfway through. The other spray bottle for outside didn't work at all. So not very successful.

      I'll try again tomorrow

      Delete
  2. It is suspicious that two people both living in remote villages were connected at the same time. The other friend was told it was a problem with her village connection . Not sure what you were told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is suspicious BtoB. They were very vague about the problem, alternating between the system being updated and there being a general problem in the area. I don't suppose we will discover the truth.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're back on line even if you might never know what the reason for the cut off was.
    Super fleas sound awful and I hope that you manage to get something to zap them. Trouble is the more you use something the more they breed babies with tolerance to the treatment. Have to be on the ball all the time.
    Anyway, hope that things return to normal now & you don't get more problems.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie I think the fleas will gradually go as the weather gets cooler...hopefully! It's just so humid at the moment which doesn't help. I've done all I can today so fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Having super fleas to deal with for nine dogs sounds like such a lot of work, Ayak. I do hope you find something which is effective and which lasts. Roll on the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the cooler weather has arrived for the weekend, and the dogs aren't scratching so much so I'm hopeful the latest treatment is working. However warm weather is set to return on Monday, so we'll see.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x