Wednesday, 22 October 2014

My personal pedicurist

Four years ago I wrote THIS POST about the state of my feet.   Ever since then I have been doing what I can to improve their condition.  They do get a bit better from time to time, but I'm afraid I get distracted and don't always remember to spend time taking care of them.

I get embarrassed about my feet and don't like anyone seeing them.  There is one exception though.... Mr A.  I think it's normal when two people have been together for a long time,  to have no inhibitions.

He, like many Turks, seem to suffer with foot problems.  There are no chiropodists here, and those with time and money to spare will get a pedicure at a hair and beauty salon.   I'm pretty certain most of these "pedicurists" don't have any training, but they do seem to do a reasonable job.

I've yet to reach the point where I am happy enough with my feet to let anyone else touch them.  Mr A has similar problems with his feet from time to time, but I did notice when he finished the job in Gumbet that they were in much better condition.  He tells me he spent time watching the pedicurists in the beauty salon where he worked early in the season, and having learned how they work, started to treat his own feet...with good results.

So last week I let him loose on my feet.  He spent two hours on them, soaking them, exfoliating them, massaging...more soaking, more exfoliation, more massage, then finally liberal amounts of aloe vera cream. He also filed down the nails, which are always quite brittle, and they look much better.

Before I went to bed I covered them in something called Fito Krem, which I got from the chemist.  It's very much like vaseline but also contains an antiseptic.  As it's quite greasy it's best to wear clean cotton socks.

The result was a vast improvement, and Mr A insists that he will continue to be my personal pedicurist from now on.  Unfortunately there wasn't time to repeat the treatment before I came to England on Saturday.

I bought some cheap canvas shoes on Sunday which were very comfortable...until I started walking in them.  Now I have some nasty blisters and the shoes have been cast aside.

I can't wait to let Mr A loose on my feet again...they are certainly going to need it by the time I return home!


8 comments:

  1. I saw a weird tip while I was away. Soak your feet in diluted Listerine (couple of capfuls in a bowl) and the hard skin will dissolve. I couldn't get to a pedicurist while I was in Greece so, expecting nothing, tried this. It was amazing, my feet were so soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats really interesting BtoB. I'm just wondering if we can buy Listerine in Turkey, or perhaps I'll take a bottle back just in case. Thanks for the tip x

      Delete
  2. I was making guava jelly and so had all the seeds and skins sieved out after the initial heat to release juice...and thought well, that must be a good exfoliant.

    Feet in the bowl, a bit of rubbing the feet topgether and half and hour later no hard skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Helen. I do love being able to make use of stuff that would normally go in the bin x

      Delete
  3. Actually someone gave me this recipe and it works for your feet.....This is crazy. Mix 1/4 c Listerine (any kind but I like the blue), 1/4 c vinegar and 1/2 c of warm water. Soak feet for 10 minutes and when you take them out the dead skin will practically wipe off.....similar to BB's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly going to try this Erica xx

      Delete
  4. I have problem feet too, Ayak, so can really sympathise. It's not just the skin, but the shape and the sensitivity. :( With these really helpful tips, I can at least get the skin looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly worth a try Perpetua x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x