Pages

Saturday, 4 October 2014

Time for a new start


Many of my regular blog readers will recall my posting about Mr A and the work he does around the house and garden, usually during the winter when he has no job.

He has built beautiful stone walls around the garden. These are not easy to do.  He has to climb the hill at the back of the house and break up the hard rocks with a pick axe, then transport them down to the house with a wheelbarrow.  This can take weeks of backbreaking labour.  This before he can even start to build the wall.  You can of course order the stone from somewhere and get it delivered, but this is beyond our means, so Mr A does it the hard way.

He has built fences, shelves, a bird table, picnic tables, a long wooden bench...even a magazine rack...all from recycled wood we found in the old house in our garden.  Some of these things haven't been successful, but some have.  It's all trial and error...and of course practise.

You know by now how much I hate Mr A working in tourism.  16 or more hours, 7 days a week, with just commission.  Not to mention the fact that I hardly see him all through the summer.  I then see far too much of him during the winter months.  It's not a normal life.

I've received comments from readers suggesting Mr A takes up all this DIY work as a full-time job, so over the past few weeks we had discussions about how we could set about doing this.   He already has some tools which will suffice for the time being.   He finished paying off the car this summer, and when he was making the final payment to the oto galeri man, he noticed a chainsaw sitting in the corner of the yard.  He asked if it was used, and the man said it wasn't.  Mr A asked if he could buy it, but as the man was so delighted to receive the final car payment, he actually gave it to Mr A.

His boss at the hamam knew of Mr A's plan to start his business at the end of the season and he gave him a heavy duty drill, which has never been used.

Finally, we invested in a welding machine.  We knew how much we could afford to spend, but the machine was more expensive.  However, Mr A being a good haggler, not only managed to get the price down but got some other bits and pieces thrown in.

Next job was to set up a Facebook page, which I did a couple of days ago and this has achieved 50 likes so far.

My friend David has given Mr A his first two jobs.  Today Mr A will be cutting up some wooden pallets for firewood, and felling a dead tree, which will also be cut for firewood.  Thank goodness for the chainsaw.

Next week, Mr A will be measuring up to build a carport on the side of David's house.

Thankyou David for giving Mr A the start he needs, but also the confidence to tackle his first paid work.  Fingers crossed, more work will follow in due course.

Apart from building stone walls, he can undertake exterior house painting, garden clearance, and pretty much any of those jobs that you don't or can't tackle yourself.

If you live in our area (near Milas), the Bodrum peninsular, or even a bit further afield (Mr A is happy to travel), then look for Kaya Building and Maintenance on Facebook.  (You'll find the link on my blog sidebar).

16 comments:

  1. He deserves to succeed. Wish we lived closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I wish so too, but more for the pleasure of your company xx

      Delete
  2. Thank Goodness for people's generosity! A brand new start is what he really deserves. I really hope he doesn't overdo the manual work to the detriment of his health. though.
    As my husband & son have worked manually for most of their lives, I have seen what it can do to back and joints.
    Very best wishes for this new venture.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. And I will do my utmost to make sure he doesn't overdo it xx

      Delete
  3. What a great new start! Wishing Mr. A success in his new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindest regards and best wishes to both of you.
    Wishing you every success in your new venture.
    Maybe think about always asking for the money up front for any building materials, paint etc, he may have to pay for so that he will not be out of pocket.
    If he ever comes to England I can probably keep him in work for a whole month with the jobs that need doing around the house and gardens.
    Maybe he can build some dog kennels or garden benches, plant holders, in his spare time to sell. you could put pictures on your website.
    JAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. Lots of useful ideas there. Unfortunately he has no plans to come to England in the foreseeable future. Thankyou very much for your kind wishes xx

      Delete
  5. It's tough starting out in business on your own, but I have everything crossed for Mr A that all goes well. As you say, the work he has been doing has been very hard, very difficult for you both - I think you are both brave and wise to start on this adventure! All the very best of luck, I know you deserve it. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annie. I know it's a risk but one worth taking I think. I appreciate your encouragement xx

      Delete
  6. I hope, with all my heart, that this venture is successful for you both Ayak. Mr A deserves it, and so do you. Word of mouth will work wonders, when people start to hear of the work he does...and you can just keep marketing it as much as possible. Good luck to both of you, fondest love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Janice. He did his first job today and it went very well. Although a screw fell off the chainsaw and was lost, so that needs to be sorted. You're right in that word of mouth is usually the best way to get more business and I will keep spreading the word. Thankyou for always being so supportive Janice. I really appreciate it xxxx

      Delete
  7. I'll tell everyone I can think of. I think he should also put some advertisements up around Tuzla. There are 1000s of houses owned by non Turkish speakers who would relish the ability to discuss what work they want doing in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BtoB. Yes I think Tuzla is a good idea. We will be getting some cards and leaflets printed after Bayram, so that we can spread the word xx

      Delete
  8. That's great to hear that he is trying sometnig new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jedi lost. Nice to see you again. Yes I am happy for him to get out of tourism at last.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x