Pages

Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Home again

It took me 16 hours to get home, with a flight on Sunday night from Heathrow to Istanbul, then the domestic transfer to Bodrum on Monday morning.

Travelling Business class (thanks to a free ticket with my airmiles) made it a lot more bearable than usual.  Turkish Airlines use the Lufthansa lounge at Heathrow which is very pleasant and provides the usual array of food and drinks.  I had a 5 hour stopover in Istanbul, having arrived at 4.15am.   Even though the THY website states that the lounge is open at Ataturk airport at 4.00am, it doesn't actually open until 5.00am.

This time I used the lounge in Domestic departures.   As usual security in Turkish airports is more than thorough.   I asked where the lounge was and was told to go through the security x-ray machines to domestic departures, which I did.   However, it wasn't there, but back where I had come from, so after much discussion one of the security men let me back through.

I went down in a lift and through another x-ray check to get into the Lounge.  It was very comfortable and well equipped with free wifi and beverages.  However, getting out of the lounge and back to Domestic departures wasn't so easy.  There seemed to be no way to achieve this, and I asked several times, and was eventually directed outside the building.   I then had to walk several hundred yards to the entrance to the Domestic building, where I went through another xray check.   Then to departures....and yet another x-ray check.   (Note to self: if flying business class again in the future DO NOT use the Domestic business class lounge).

I finally arrived at Bodrum airport around midday, where Mr A was waiting...and home to a very enthusiastic welcome from all my dogs.  I was quite tired by this time but unable to relax so spent the day putting washing through the machine and generally tidying up.  I had the start of a cold, a parting gift from Jimi, and was finally in bed and asleep by 8.00pm.   When I got up at 6.00am on Tuesday the cold was much worse so most of the day was spent in bed.  I am feeling loads better now though.

Mr A has been unwell during my time away and has had several trips to the hospital.  He has to have an ultrasound on Friday, and then possibly further treatment, so as yet we don't know what the problem is.

He did, however, manage to complete the shelter for the pups kennels, and he has been to feed the village dogs and those at the industrial estate every day.  There are around 12 or 13 dogs in the village and approximately 25 at the industrial estate.

As you can imagine, we are getting through a considerable amount of food, and as usual I am very grateful to all of you who have donated.  This feeding programme is ongoing so if we are to continue to help these dogs survive, particularly during the winter months,  more donations are needed.  Any amount, no matter how small, is very welcome.  It all helps.  (You will find the Paypal button at the top of this page).

Thankyou to all of you who follow my blog and your words of encouragement, which are very much appreciated.


9 comments:

  1. I always get lost at Ataturk airport, whenever possible I go via Sabıha Gökçen, as there is much less walking involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I prefer Sabiha Gokcen BtoB. Unfortunately even though I could fly there from Bodrum, I would then have to go to Ataturk to fly to Heathrow. I haven't actually found out whether THY transfer passengers from Sabiha to Ataturk and whether luggage is transferred with you. Or whether you have to check it in again at Ataturk. It all seems so complicated which is why I stick with Ataturk

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear your cold benefited from a good night's sleep...but really sorry to hear Mr A isn't right. I hope that gets sorted quickly. Good old Jimi eh ! My experience is that with our 5 grandchildren, one, at least is always sniffling....and those English germs strike visitors really easily. I dont think my French immunity is much good against them either. I picked up a cough almost hours after cuddling the first grandchild when we returned. Oh well, take care, and wish Mr A a speedy recovery from me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about those English germs Janice. I always pick up some kind of bug on my visits...usually from the grandsons. But I'd rather risk the bugs than avoid the kids wouldn't you? I shall be glad when we find out what the problem is with Mr A and I will most certainly pass on your good wishes. Thankyou Janice xxx

      Delete
  3. I hope they can find the basis for Mr. A's problems quickly...but how typical of him, though unwell, to carry on and finish the shelter for the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Yes it is typical of him. He's happiest when he's busy x

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that Mr A's medical problem is persisting and really hope they can find out quickly what it is and what to do about it. As for colds, DD brought one with her at half-term and I'm now coughing dreadfully...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x