Pages

Monday, 24 November 2014

UPDATE on Bob and other village dogs

For those of you who didn't see my status on Facebook on Saturday, I'm copying it here because it is self-explanatory:

A street dog called Bob. For those of you who read my last blog post, he was referred to as the dog with the broken leg. We have been trying desperately to catch him to get treatment but he has remained elusive for the past week.
This morning it was obvious even at a distance that his leg was badly infected, so drastic measures needed to be taken, and with the help of a borrowed tranquiliser gun Mr A was able to capture him and take him to our vet.
He will remain in the clinic for around 20 days. It will probably take about 10 days for the infection to clear before he can be operated on. Our vet Mehmet will try to save the leg, but we should be prepared for amputation if necessary. He is now in safe hands at last and I will update when I have more to report.
Then a little later:

Bob is with our vet in Milas now. The infection is quite bad and has been cleaned thoroughly and he is on antibiotics and serum. It would seem that he was shot and the bullet passed through the bone. It will be cleaned and redressed every 2 days and should take 10 days to clear up. Our vet Mehmet says that he is hopeful that he can operate and save the leg as the nerves aren't damaged.



I was unable to get to the clinic yesterday as Mr A was working and the buses are so infrequent on Sundays, that I missed one and then had no idea when another one would come along.  However, Mehmet wasn't at the clinic yesterday, just his staff, but we phoned to check and Bob is doing OK.  It's early days of course so we can't expect too much as yet, but we will be going down this evening to see him.

I have some veterinary wound powder which was given to me by Sonia at Gokova Animal Rescue, and another "friend" of the street animals in Turkey, Emma, brings supplies of this from the UK for several rescue groups.  She has kindly offered to supply more.  She has messaged Sonia, who I will see next Sunday, who will give me more, which Emma will replace.   Mehmet is using something very similar at the moment on Bob, but he will probably run out in 2 or 3 days, so we will give him our supplies tonight.   I will also give him some more when we collect on Sunday.  This will  help to bring down the total bill for Bob's treatment.  So thankyou to Emma (and Sonia), as this is considered to be a donation, for which we are very grateful.

When Bob has had his operation, he will also be neutered and vaccinated and given his pet passport.  I would dearly love to find a good home for him.  In this respect I will post photos on Facebook in the next 10 days or so, when he is well on the road to recovery.

The brown dog I referred to in my earlier post, is now eating well.  He is being given a course of immune booster, and he is on a course of treatment for his skin condition, which is already working as you can see in the photos.  I would also like to get this boy neutered and vaccinated at some point.
Before food and treatment(taken at night so photo a bit dark)

Improving every day


The dog who was shot, but whose wound had healed, is also eating well and looking much healthier.  Again, we would like to neuter and vaccinate this boy, and also to have Mehmet check him over and make sure that he is OK.

Before we started feeding

A healthier and more trusting dog now having a cuddle with Mr A.

We will of course face a bill at the end of all this, particularly for Bob's treatment,  so donations at this time would be very much appreciated.   No matter how small...every little helps.

Please help if you can.  You will find the Paypal button at the top of this page.

(And please forgive me for the constant appeals for money.  It really isn't in my nature to plead for help, but these dogs need it...Thankyou)



4 comments:

  1. I'm so very proud of all the work you are doing for these animals. Currently I am assisting a recently homeless family that have no money for food. A sad state of affairs here in "the most powerful country" in the world..(sarcasm). Assistance for food has been drastically cut and a lot of folks are suffering. Hopefully after this month, my "family" will be on more solid ground and have some money for food. I also help my daughter when she needs it. There is just so much need everywhere it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Charlotte. You are so right. There is so much need everywhere. It's all too easy to get wrapped up in our own little worlds and become oblivious to what's going on around us. If everyone could help just a little, the world would be a much better place.

      Delete
  2. It seems to be never ending - so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never going to end BtoB unless some drastic measures are taken by this Government. I'm afraid street animals are way down on their list of priorities...if they're on the list at all these days :-(

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x