For a couple of weeks we have been without dogs in the village. This was of course due to shootings and poisonings which I talked about in previous blog posts.
We did manage to save three dogs, one who was shot and spent 5 and half weeks in our vet clinic being treated for a severe infection and then an operation to fix the bone. He was rehomed in Oren by someone contacted by our vet. The dog who was poisoned spent 5 days in the clinic and was then taken to the sanayi where a lovely man is looking after him. We tried to integrate the dog we named Kahve at home with our dogs...he was the only surviving dog in the village. It didn't work. We had him vaccinated, wormed and flea treated and he was adopted by the sanayi man. This man is now feeding between 15 and 20 dogs a day as long as we provide food.
We have been checking on the mum dog with the deformed legs and her two pups. They are on the outskirts of the village so relatively safe. They are living next to a house where the woman is feeding them with the sack of food we provided. We need to worm the pups but the mum is still very protective and we are unable to get access to them, but will do this as soon as we can.
Thanks to donations in the past couple of months I was able to settle a large bill with the vet. Thankyou so much to all who donated and enabled me to do this.
Two nights ago Mr A spotted new dogs in the village. Three or four of them. They are of course scared and won't come close, (He managed to get photos of two of them).
We will start to feed them, but Mr A really needs to work on the people of the village to encourage them to leave the dogs alone. How easy this will be remains to be seen. In the meantime, we will try to get them taken in by Milas shelter...but I won't hold my breath...they have been extremely uncooperative to date. We cannot take them to the sanayi because, having already taken two there, any more will undoubtedly cause a problem.
Mr A also told me of a story he had heard last night of a suspected case of rabies in a village not far from us. I posted a warning on some groups last night, but to be honest there is conflicting information and details are sketchy, so I deleted my posts to avoid scaremongering, until we know the facts.
It did however act as a reminder for me that some of our 10 rescued dogs are due rabies boosters. Timmy also needed another mixed vaccine which we have given him today, and he will have his rabies shot one week later.
Tommy, Megan, Sammy, Blondie and Freddie had their boosters today. Melek and Chas are due in June and Monty in November.
We were also completely out of dog food, having delivered the last sack to the sanayi on Saturday, so we also collected 6 x 15kg sacks today from our vet.
This means that I am now in debt to my vet for the vaccines and the food, and for Dave's treatment last week before he died, and I would be most grateful for donations at this time. Any amount, no matter how small, is very welcome. Without the help of all of you kind people, we wouldn't be able to continue to care for as many dogs as possible.
If you would like to donate you will find the Paypal button at the top of this page). Thankyou xx