Pages

Thursday, 4 June 2015

Dogs and Life

Well the two go together really.  Dogs are a big part of my life and generally speaking everything else has to fit in around them.  They are a commitment for life.  Something which people don't always consider when they adopt one.  Just lately I have seen so many horrifying reports of cruelty to dogs and other animals on Facebook, I  am left wondering what is happening to the human race.

My 10 rescues have the best life I can give them.  They are all neutered to prevent any more unwanted pups.  They are all vaccinated and boosters administered when due.  They are wormed regularly and treated for fleas and ticks, and any other ailments are dealt with.

The dogs on the streets aren't so lucky though, unless people stop being self-centred and cruel.  It doesn't take much effort to feed a dog or to put out a bowl of water...so necessary now that summer is upon us.  The satisfaction and love you receive from a dog by just being kind is priceless.

My dogs are all fine.   The sanayi dogs are being fed by the kind man there, who having run out of food before we had chance to deliver more, went and bought some with his own money.  We will of course reimburse him...it's the least we can do.

We called into see Annie and her mum briefly last night.  Annie's mum tells us she is spoilt.  The family share their food with her so often she turns her nose up at the dried dog food!   She pointed out that Annie had a problem with one of her eyes.  A bit of conjunctivis it seems, so we will get more eye drops today to sort this out.

The old man on the edge of the village continues to feed 10 dogs who turn up at his house each day and also the stragglers that appear at the teahouse in the evening.

A couple of weeks ago on one of the lanes leading down to the village we spotted 6 or 7 pups in the road.   They weren't newborn and seemed quite healthy.  We couldn't see mum around but our neighbour said that she had seen the mum with them the previous day and that she thought they were being fed by people in a house close to where we saw the pups.

I've been down there several times since and didn't see any of them.  I would of course have loved to taken them home but we just have absolutely no more room for anymore dogs.   On one of Mr A's brief visits home he asked someone near where the pups were originally if they were OK.  Apparently people were leaving out scraps for them.   It's not perfect of course but slowly the mentality is changing in this village.  We are setting an example and people realise that they don't  need to be afraid of these dogs and there is no reason to harm them.  Naturally we will never convince everyone so we do have to be vigilant.

Last night on our way home after a busy day (more of that later) Mr A spotted an old man who lives near where the pups were seen and stopped to ask him if he knew of their whereabouts.  It would seem that the mum had disappeared, but the good news is that several people had adopted one pup each.  Apparently there were four or five according to this man, so I guess the others may have died.  Sadly  this happens so often.

We were delighted to learn that these pups now have homes.  Unfortunately the man doesn't know who took them or where they live but he is going to ask around.  If he can find out we have told him to tell the new pup owners to come to our house and I will provide them with food, worm and flea treatments, and give them some advice on how to care for them.  We are still hoping to find the mother of these pups and if so we will get her spayed.  I have no idea what she looks like so will have to rely on others to let me know.

Mr A continues with his busy schedule but having had discussions with his boss he is hopeful that things will change and that the schedule for each day will work better if he starts out each morning at the far end of the peninsular, ie Yalikavak, works his way through Bodrum and out as far as Gulluk, then he could actually get home to sleep each night.  It would seem that most of his customers will be in the Gulluk hotel so he could spend the last couple of hours of his busy day there, before coming home.  There will be a trial of this new schedule starting tomorrow.  Let's see if it works.

Yesterday I intended to meet up with David to go to Bodrum, to look for plastic dog beds, to replace some makeshift beds I am using which are getting chewed!

I managed to get a lift into Bodrum with Mr A and he dropped me at the Oasis shopping centre where I arranged to meet David.  After 10 minutes David rang to say his car wouldn't start, so it looked like I would have to get  three buses home.   I rang Mr A who was still in Bodrum and he collected me.  We decided that I would spend the day with him going from hotel to hotel to do the welcome meetings.

It was an interesting day, but not relaxing.  It was very hectic even though Mr A tells me it wasn't a busy day for him.  If this wasn't busy then I really don't know how he copes...or manages to keep a smile on his face when talking to customers.  Even though we are allowed to eat in any of the hotels he is responsible for, there wasn't actually time.  We only just managed a coffee and a couple of biscuits whilst doing one of the welcome meetings.   As soon as one hotel is ticked off the list, it's into the car and off to the next one.

His last hotel was in Yalikavak and having booked two customers for a Turkish Bath, the transport phoned to say they couldn't collect them, so we put them in Mr A's car to take them.  On the way Mr A dropped me at Kipa to do some shopping, then delivered the customers, on to his office to deal with bookings and paperwork, and then to fill up with petrol.  He collected me from the supermarket and we set off home.  Then, as mentioned above, stopped to see Annie, and the man about the pups.

I was so shattered when we got home, I fed the dogs and went to bed.  Mr A?  He spent an hour in the garden tying up tomato plants and clearing some weeds.  At around 9pm he received a phone call to say some customers had problems at one of the hotels, so he changed his clothes and off he went to sort them out.  Finally back home at midnight and off to bed.

This morning the Gulluk hotel was first on his list and we realised that there was just time for me to go with him and have breakfast there, do the welcome meeting, drop me back home, and then for him to set off for the rest of his appointments.

We booked well on the excusions yesterday by working together.  British people like to talk to other British people, so it helped with me being there.  Mr A likes me working with him but knows I couldn't possibly do this too often!   But I'll try to help a couple of times a week.  Frankly, it's the only time we manage to be together during the summer, so it's worth the effort.




8 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could make a badge for Mr. A to wear....'My wife is British'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good idea Helen. Although he does constantly mention it. He used to do something years ago which annoyed me and that was to ring me at home while he was talking to British holidaymakers and then hand the phone to them to talk to me! Until I explained to him that just because they are the same nationality it doesn't mean that I want to talk to complete strangers on the phone!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are training so many people to be kinder to the dogs.
    There is so much cruelty going on.
    I'm wondering if they're any better with cats?
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats aren't kept as pets in this village Maggie. They are considered to be vermin but are pretty much ignored. People aren't cruel to them and they do seem to survive quite well by jumping into the bins for scraps...something the dogs can't manage of course

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember from my repping days that transfer day used to start at 4am and finish 1 am the next day. I could hack it at 25, there's no way I could do it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's definitely a young persons game!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your sterling efforts in the village are starting to pay off in changing attitudes to the strays, Ayak. It must have been good to spend a bit of time with Mr a like this, but I agree that you couldn't possibly do it all the time. Still, if you manage to get more booking when you do help out, that will feel very positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about doing whatever is necessary to earn enough money in summer to get us through the winter Perpetua.

      Yes I am pleasantly surprısed at the actions of people here in homing these pups. Let's hope this change of attitude spreads.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x