Wednesday, 22 July 2015

It's a very British habit.....

....to talk about the weather.  We like to complain if it's too hot, or too cold, or too wet.

The Turks don't seem to talk about it much.  They just get on with it.  They are used to the drastic climate changes and don't feel the need to discuss it.  But we have to talk about it endlessly.

Sometimes when I am out in the village and pass someone I say hello and how are you.  They respond accordingly.  I might add something like "It's very hot" or "It's very cold" and they just look at me as if I'm mad.  They nod and smile.  They humour me.   In winter we say "roll on summer".  In summer we say "roll on winter".   We never seem to be satisfied.

So...it's hot here at the moment.  Extremely hot and unbearable and I am finding it difficult to cope.  We have one air conditioning unit that is broken.  Two attempts have been made to fix it with no success.  I am stuck in a very hot house with a ceiling fan in the bedroom which just circulates the hot air.  I get up very early to clean out the dogs areas and half-heartedly do some housework, but by 7.30am I am hot and exhausted.  

I have tried sitting outside in the evening or early morning but over the past couple of days I have been bitten unmercifully by mosquitoes, so it's back inside the hothouse.  If I had a swimming pool (or  even a large paddling pool) I probably wouldn't feel so bad tempered.  

I envy those on holiday here who can sit by a pool, relax with a  cold drink, and take a dip to cool off.  It's very different living here.

So there we have it.   A whole blog post about the weather.   Roll on winter.


10 comments:

  1. Very British indeed! People here didn't talk about the weather, but since the unusual weather of the last two years it is now a subject of conversation!

    I do hope it cools off for you soon...we had a beastly session of very hot weather last month and it was unbearable - even here where the house catches the breezes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting hotter by the day. Mr A was paid yesterday and has sent me the money to go out and get a portable aircon unit. Hopefully I'll then be able to sleep tonight!

      Delete
  2. It's been really lovely here all summer...... not too hot neither too cold.....
    Sorry if this makes your situation seem worse.
    I couldn't stand being so hot! We have to winge over here about the weather but thought I would say (until today when it's cool and wet) we've had a very lovely summer so far.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds perfect Maggie. Wish I was there! xx

      Delete
  3. I slept in Bodrum on Wednesday night. No air con, just a fan and it reminded me that this was how we always slept - no one had aircon. A light cotton nightie - a shower in the nightie before bed and a fan = a damp but cool night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a very good idea.

      Its true. We didn't have aircon for a long time and then when we did I rarely used it. Still after two nightmare days of faffing around back and forth to Tekzen I finally have a portable aircon unit. It took my hours to set it up and then we had a powercut...typical!

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday! We've been having a heat wave here with very Turkey-like temperatures. It's hard to look out the window at work, see all the sailboats on the lake, and not wish I was lazily drifting on the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deniz xx Yes drifting on water would be lovely right now :)

      Delete
  5. My husband once put a damp towel on the bed on a night in Perth when it was so hot I didn't know what to do with myself and I slept on that. Heat is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is hard to cope with but for the last two days I have had aircon which is a blessed relief :)

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x