Saturday, 11 July 2015

Once a week......

...seems pretty much all I can manage when it comes to blogging these days.

It was my birthday last Tuesday.   They seem to come around rather too quickly for my liking, but this is really the first year that I have been aware of having to slow down a bit.  I have always been very active and often with the energy of someone much younger.  Even though my brain tells me that I can do absolutely anything, my body doesn't necessarily agree.

The day of my birthday was really a non-event.  I didn't see another person.  The first time in my life I have spent the day entirely alone.  I had had plans to go out with my friend Fleur, but we are in the middle of a heatwave.  It's just too hot for me to venture out, and a long way for Fleur to drive, so we have postponed our get together until later when the weather is cooler.

Mr A is still working flat out, although in recent weeks he was managing to get home most nights, and had moved all his clothes back to the house from the personnel accommodation.  His company car can only be used for his job (it has a GPS tracker) but his last port of call most days was a hotel in Gulluk, close enough for him to drive home.

This particular hotel has caused him so many problems.  Customers there seem to be what I call the professional complainers (those who complain from start to finish wherever they stay).  It's a cheap all-inclusive hotel, but seems to attract those who pay 2 star prices but expect 5 star treatment.  I'm not sure these people will ever accept that you only get what you pay for.

They are also not interested in buying excursions, the commission on which makes up the majority of Mr A's earnings.

It reached a point last weekend where Mr A had had enough.  Expecting him to rush through so many hotels from 8am onwards, arriving at the Gulluk hotel around 8pm and then being stuck there until midnight takes it's toll.   Not to mention the occasional phone call at 2 or 3am telling him to go to the airport to collect customers and transport them to Bodrum.

He spoke to  the boss.  He made a fuss and stood his ground.  Eventually it was decided that he could drop the Gulluk hotel and someone else, who works mainly at the airport, would deal with it.

Good news on the one hand.  He has a bit more free time.  But on the other hand, he can't justify using the company car to come home.  So on Monday evening he popped home to collect his belongings and move back to the personnel accommodation.  He clearly didn't remember that it was my birthday the following day.

Thanks to Facebook birthday reminders and the vast number of birthday wishes I received from Facebook friends (thankyou so much everyone) I was finally wished Happy Birthday by him around midday, but there was no chance of him getting home.

An airport run last night meant that he could come home for the night.  He also managed to sell his old motorbike to a man in the village, and will buy a newer one as soon as he earns enough money.  He's hoping this will be sooner rather than later, because it then means that he can use the motorbike to go to Bodrum to pick up the company car, and then bike home sometimes when he finishes work.  He also dropped off more supplies of dog food to our feeders while he was here last night.

So he will set off again early this morning and I have no idea when I will next see him.  This is just the way it goes for anyone working in tourism.

Roll on winter!

Have a good weekend everyone.


7 comments:

  1. We don't bither with birthday celebrations now. It isn't a Turkish thing to do , is it. I'm still in cool Sweden so a day too hot to go out sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the birthday thing isn't popular here. I think my husband only acknowledges it most years because he knows it means more to me. But at my age I'm not happy about celebrating anyway! I wouldn't rush back from Sweden if I were you. Forecast for Bodrum area all next week is hovering around the 40 degree mark.

      Delete
  2. It is so dispiriting that someone of his abilities cannot have a job which reflects his worth...what a rotten world it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true Helen, but then I think he considers himself lucky to have a job at all...and get paid. Surprisingly, in spite of the tiredness and stress, he actually enjoys the job.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine he does...he's someone who wants to see everyone happy...but it's a pity he doesn't get more of a share of the money he generates.

      Delete
  3. You really would think that allowing use of the car to get home every night would work out cheaper than providing accommodation .....and say so much more about how the company value the people that work for them. Aggghhh. Hope those 40 degrees days dont cause you too much trouble. Its been 30 + for days here now, and no rain for about 6 weeks.....but Im not sure I could cope with 40. take care. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the point though Janice. They don't value the workers. They just see them as money machines. It doesn't bother the bosses that personnel are sharing rooms in a dingy house, or that they don't get enough sleep or any free time. As long as bosses pockets are being lined, that's all that matters.

      This weather is awful. I know people love these temperatures for their holidays...but it's vastly different for them when they can relax on their sunbeds by a pool. Ah well, just the rest of July and August to get through then temperatures will start to drop again :)

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x