Pages

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Scandal

I did some posts a couple of years ago about scandal in villages...well this village in particular..and I thought about them again on Saturday when reading an article in the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet

BLİND SPOT. The secret sex life of Turks

The murder of this little boy was shocking but I found it almost impossible to believe that the concern from those around seemed to be more about the fact that people were having sex in Ramazan during daylight hours.

The article says a lot about things that go on behind closed doors in the less educated parts of Turkey and it's very disturbing.  Even after living here for so long, some things still shock me.

Having mentioned my posts about scandal in our village, although of course not as shocking as the article above, I'll give you the links to them here, for those of you who are new to my blog.  My long term followers will no doubt remember them

A PEACEFUL VİLLAGE...DON'T YOU BELİEVE İT

A LİTTLE MORE SCANDAL FROM THE VİLLAGE

Interestingly, I caught the dolmuş into Milas yesterday.  It was hot and stuffy and when I got on there was only one seat left, next to the lady mentioned in the above post.  The dolmuş was filling up fast as it was market day in Milas, but even though several people got on before me, no-one sat next to this lady, so I did.

She greeted me as usual by name and we had a chat on the way to Milas.  All the while I was receiving "looks" from the other passengers...no doubt wondering whether I follow the same profession.    The prejudice and narrow-mindedness of village people really irritates me.  Sod the lot of them!


9 comments:

  1. That poor little boy! And what the article suggests about the life of women in backwoods families is horrific....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it shocking? I can't stop thinking about it all :(

      Delete
  2. Remember we still have to go and investigate whether the prostitute/oil wrestler village exists outside Milas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I didn't forget but was reminded again when ı read your comment on the previous thread. Just say when!!

      Delete
  3. That's terrible, Ayak, but sadly I'm not actually surprised. Narrow-mindedness can make people judge things in a very unbalanced way. Like Helen I'm horrified by the glimpse of the oppression suffered by women in small traditional communities. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Perpetua. It ıs horrifying isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I lived in Oklahoma for a few years. Nothing surprises me about small town life and the relativity of private (or local morality). I recall one story about two members of a very strict church who on their wedding night learned that they had both been "deflowered" by the same pastor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief. Don't quite know what to say about that one :(

      Delete
  5. I think i must have missed this one some how. WOW! Nothing seems to shock me anymore which is really sad to say.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x