Pages

Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Neglecting my blog

I feel very guilty about neglecting my blog.  The longer I leave it, the more difficult it becomes to write a post.

My Facebook group has taken over.  I post daily updates there and the blog gets forgotten.  I'm aware that many of my blog followers don't use Facebook, so I will try to keep the blog going as much as possible.

It's been a very busy summer for Mr A.  He was working 16 to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, and driving around 400km a day across the Bodrum peninsular, from one hotel to another and back again.  He rarely had chance to come home, and if he did it was just a flying visit of just an hour or two.

Turkish bosses demand their pound of flesh.   They expect far too much.  Mr A had a company car, and unsurprisingly with the long hours and lack of sleep, he had a couple of bumps in it.  It was only then that he discovered that full insurance was not provided...just the basic traffic cover, and he was expected to pay for repairs.

He did manage to earn good money this season though and it enabled us to pay off our debts and for him to save for a new motorbike, and also to pay for some much needed work on the house.  In almost 18 years here, it's the first time we have reached the end of the season without worrying about how we are going to survive the winter.

He finished work the last week in October, and has been working on house and garden since.  On our first Sunday together we drove over to visit our friends David and Abdu, went to their local market and had lunch together.  The motorbike was very comfortable but I'm afraid I'm getting too old to be riding pillion these days, and the following day I had aches and pains and vowed I wouldn't be doing this too often.

As a result, Mr A decided to trade in the motorbike for a car.   What a relief.   It's an ex-taxi...bright yellow.   I was surprised when I first saw it, and wondered if we might be flagged down while we were out and about by people thinking it was a taxi.  However, we've seen a lot of them about this past week.  The mileage is high but it's been well looked after.  We spent a day in Bodrum sorting out all the paperwork and insurance and spoke to the traffic police about my license.  It seems I can still use my British driving license as long as I get it translated and noterised, so this will be done soon.

In the meantime the dogs he had been looking after at his personnel accommodation needed to be dealt with.   There were still 5 puppies left.  Paşa (re-named Oscar) went off to his new owner's village and Narin remained at the accommodation with the 5 pups, to be looked after by the man staying there all winter.   Mr A planned to renovate an old building in the garden there to keep them safe but on the day he went to start on it, the pups had disappeared, along with a slightly older pup, called Miki, who had appeared a couple of weeks before.  After much searching of the area and a visit to the council shelter, there was no sign of them.

A phone call a few days later from the man at the accommodation informed us that Narin was dead.  Poisoned.   We suspect the neighbours but it's very difficult to prove.  By coincidence the pups turned up a couple of hours later...but sadly not Miki.  All this is very suspicious.  Thank goodness we had the car, and Mr A set off with a friend late evening to rescue the pups.  Poor Narin.  Such a good mother.  She didn't deserve this and we are so upset.  May she rest in peace.

His friend decided to adopt one of the pups, and the four remaining have been moved, along with the kennel we supplied, to the sanayi (industrial estate) on the outskirts of our village, where we already have men feeding the dogs there with food supplied by us.  The two female pups and Narin were spayed thanks to friends in Bitez who paid for their  operations.  All dogs and pups were vaccinated, flea and worm treated, so those surviving stand a good chance now.

We now have three men at the sanayi who have taken responsibility for feeding, and we will continue to support them with sacks of food.

Annie, the dog with deformed  legs continues to thrive and is being well looked after, along with 4 others dogs being fed  by her owner.  Again we will continue to supply food for them.

A couple of weeks ago I found a badly injured dog on wasteground opposite our house.  His head was injured and his eyes were covered in flies and maggots.  Mr A was still working but managed to contact the Belediye shelter and they sent two men out to collect the dog (who I named Henry).  While I waited I did as much as I could to wash the maggots from his eyes and make him comfortable.   The Belediye vet treated him at the shelter.  He did as much as possible but informed us that the injury was at least a week old.  I cannot imagine how he must have suffered all that time.  I don't know if he managed to crawl to the area outside our house, or whether he was dumped there, but I will never erase the sight from my mind.  Sadly he didn't do well.  He was blind, he couldn't stand and was distressed and in pain, so the decision was made to have him put to sleep.   Poor boy.  Rest in Peace dear Henry.

Our 10 rescues are all doing well.  We have had vet visits this week for three of them, but nothing too serious.  Sammy is receiving treatment for the growth on his gums which has appeared again.  Blondie is also being treated for a small injury to her ankle which heals then opens up again...due mainly to her licking it.  She now has it bandaged up and a "bucket" on her head...so far so good.  Fistik is due at the vet's today because she has sore and  itchy paws. She keeps licking them which makes them worse so it needs to be dealt with.

In the meantime, we finally managed to remove an old smelly carpet from our sitting room, which we put down nearly 8 years ago to cover the concrete floor.  It was all we could afford at the time, but it was desperately in need of replacement, having been subjected to dog wee, poo and sick.  You can imagine what it was like.  It has now been burnt and replaced by laminate flooring.  Much more practical with four dogs in the house.

Over the past few days Mr A has ripped up the floor tiles in the bathroom and re-tiled and is fitting a new washbasin and toilet.  Although he is making a good job of this, he is a very messy worker and there is dust all over the house.   Not to mention that I have had to resort to wee-ing in a bucket while we've been without a toilet.  It should all be finished today...hopefully!

Mr A needs a break and as soon as the bathroom is finished he is planning to go up to Ankara to visit his family.  He hasn't been for years and is looking forward to catching up with his many relatives.  Although it's doubtful he will attempt to see his father.  They are not on speaking terms.  Those of you who have followed my blog for years will understand why.

Deliveries of food have been made this week to all our feeders, which means that while Mr A is away I can concentrate on ridding the house of all the dust.  A mammoth task...wish me luck!

I'll leave you with some photos of my 10 beautiful dogs, taken by my friend Gwen when she stayed with me in September.

Fistik

Monty

Tommy

Megan

Sammy

Blondie

Freddie and Blondie

Melek

Chas

Monty

Timmy

Finally, if you don't already follow my Facebook page Ayak's Animal Welfare, you will find the link on the sidebar.

If you would like to help support our feeding and care of the dogs in our village and surrounding area, you will find the Paypal button at the top of this blog.  Every little helps us to continue with our work. Thankyou.







8 comments:

  1. I do follow on Facebook, but also miss your blog! Still, life is so busy for you - you do what is easiest for you.
    I'm glad Mr.A is having a little break...such a pity that he had to work so hard to make it possible.
    I'll bet you'll be happy to have the place to yourself to clear things up, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping things will settle down soon once repairs to the bathroom are done. He'll be outside doing the garden for weeks so at least I can clean the house...although I expect he'll trail dirt in with him. I knew he wanted to go to Ankara but was hesitant because there is so much to do here but I insisted he have a break.

      I enjoy the group on Facebook but I don't want to give up blogging. I'll get back to it on a regular basis when I can. It helps doing this post today just to get me going again

      I need to find time now to catch up with everyone else's blogs...not enough hours in the day.

      Delete
  2. Love all the photos! It's amazing the amount of work you both put in, with the dogs and at home! Love the idea of driving one of those yellow taxis :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately it no longer has a taxi sign on it Deniz :)

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad you've updated us as I don't do Facebook.
    Glad Mr Ayak did well this summer. The alterations to your house will make a big difference. The dogs are all looking well.
    Please don't go away for too long!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to blog more often Maggie xx

      Delete
  4. Glad you had time to update - that is what I am doing now. Mr. A's boss sounds dubious - has he checked his SSK insurance premiums have been paid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I got him to check as I was also concerned x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x