Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Wasting time

Last week while I was in Milas I called into my bank to get a small amount of English currency for my trip next week.

I took a numbered ticket from the machine....and waited...about 45 minutes, only to be informed by the cashier when it was my turn that they had no GBP in stock.  I have never experienced this before so I was quite surprised.   I asked if they could get some for me, but they said they weren't ordering anymore foreign currency at the moment.

I think this has something to do with the present government not wanting money to leave the country, but for goodness sake...I only wanted a small amount.

Today I popped into Milas for an appointment with my hairdresser at 9am. As usual a lovely wash, cut and blow dry, for which he charged me 10 lira...just over £2.   I always feel happy when I've had my hair done so decided I would brave the queues at the post office to see if I could get some currency there.

There was indeed a long queue which stretched out of the door, so to avoid wasting time I asked at the information desk if they had GBP in stock.  The answer was yes and I joined the queue.   Half an hour later when I reached the cashier I was informed they had none.  I was fuming.

I then went to HSBC bank and asked the security man to check if they had GBP, which he did.  He said they had some and would I take a ticket and queue.    35 minutes later the cashier asked how much I wanted and I told him.  He asked if I had an account with them and I said I didn't but my bank had no currency.  He said he was very sorry but they were only changing currency for their customers at the present time.   Aargh!

Next I went to  Akbank and a man with a "Manager" tag on his jacket was standing just inside the door.  I asked him if he had GBP in stock and he said yes.  I explained that my bank had none and showed him my debit card (which I don't think he looked at) and he told me to take a ticket and join the queue.

30 minutes later on reaching the cashier I produced my card and asked the cashier for the currency.  He said he couldn't accept my card as  I was not one of their customers.  I asked him to check with the manager as I had already spoken to him.   The manager came over and I showed him my card and he confirmed that it wouldn't be acceptable.   Clearly he had NOT looked at it or listened to me when I spoke to him before.    He said I should take money from an ATM, come back, take another ticket and join the queue.   By now I had smoke coming out of my ears and had had more than enough of queues.

Meanwhile Kaya had been trying to sort out our government health insurance.  I had been trying to pay our monthly subscription online but kept being informed there was no debt.  On checking this out it seems that our insurance had "run out"...and they had given us no warning...so all the paperwork has to be completed and submitted again.   Kaya has been there for the best part of today.

Finally, I thought I would pop into my own bank again on the off chance that they may just have some GBP after all.   I asked the security man to check and he said they had around £200 in stock.  So I took a ticket...and joined the queue...and waited.  It was coming up to lunchtime closing so I actually wondered if I would be served, but I was just in time.   It turned out that in fact they only had £70 in stock, so I took it anyway.

A whole morning wasted for £70.   I really can think of better ways to spend my time!

10 comments:

  1. Not good for the blood pressure! Thank goodness you'll get off on your trip soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Helen. Just 10 more days. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Grrrrr, I would be absolutely furious. At least you now have some pounds, but what a performance. Then Kaya having to deal with SGK...........I had a similar day with Turkcell, thankfully all ok now, but very frustrating.xx F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This past week has been very frustrating in many ways Fleur. Sooo looking forward to my trip xx

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain! Here is is always the same runaround to get sterling I could have dollars or euros anywhere but nobody has GBP. So I run round Ürgüp first, then I get sent to Göreme and I get on the bus feeling hopeful and end up having to get on another bus and go to Nevşehir. The first time I went to the UK I didn'T know this and friends gave me bits and bobs and I ended up going with dollars, euros and most of it in yen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can easily get pounds out of the ATMs in Bodrum . I don't suppose there is the same demand in Milas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. No banks give GBP from ATMs. HSBC give Euros or Dollars.

      Delete
  5. I've never had this problem before Vicky. I've always managed to get as much GBP as I needed with my bank and have never even had to order it, so this was very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tedious way to spend a morning. Thank goodness you finally found a place to provide a bit of cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. I never want a repeat performance!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x