Pages

Monday, 16 May 2016

DREAMS

I saw this on someone's timeline on Facebook yesterday and it prompted me to do a blog post.

I've never really taken too much notice of the books, articles etc that interpret dreams.  I'm not sure I really want to know what they mean.  How does anyone know how to interpret them anyway?

We all have dreams don't we?  Or maybe some people don't.  They can stir up all sorts of emotions:  happiness, sadness, anxiety, and especially if they are so vivid that when we wake up we believe that they are real.

When I was a child I had a recurring dream about being able to fly.  In my dream I would come out of the house, to the end of the road, turn left until I came across a road which was a steep hill.  I would stand at the top of the road...jump...and fly to the bottom.

A common dream seems to be about falling.  I've had this one many times.  Another is trying to reach a destination but finding it impossible because of so many obstacles in my way.  I tend to get this last one if I am due to go on a journey, or if I am anxious about the dogs.

A rather more pleasant one that I had when I was a child was when I would be walking along a road and every few steps I found money on the ground.  I picked it up, continued walking and finding more.   If this was a sign that I might win the lottery, it never happened!

Occasionally I have a dream which, on waking and realising it's not true, upsets me dreadfully.   I have been estranged from my son for 18 years.  His choice, even though I still make attempts to contact him.   In my dream we have reconciled and my son is part of my life now.  It all seems so vivid and real.  Initially on awakening I still believe it and feel really happy.  After a short while the truth hits me and the sadness overwhelms me.

What do you dream about?   Are your dreams happy or sad?  Interesting or disturbing?  Have you actually tried to find out what they mean?  I'd like to know.


9 comments:

  1. Brother in law studied the theories of Jung so was very much into the interpretation of dreams: Leo had a period of having very vivid dreams which BIL interpreted - but I felt that he was too close to the family situation to give a wholly objective report.

    When I was a child I had a recurrent nightmare. Do you remember Mr. Cube? Well, my nightmare was that a piece of melted cheese - the size and shape of Mr. Cube but somewhat more fluid - appeared over the end of the bed and advanced on me. Goodness only knows what Jung would have made of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an odd one! Yes I think I remember Mr Cube. Wasn't it on the Tate & Lyle sugar packets?

      I read a little of Jung's theories when I did the Social Science Foundation course with the OU. There are lots of different theories out there. You could become obsessed with them if you allowed yourself to.

      Delete
  2. Being lost in an institution old style building. Lots of corridors, stairways etc and the feeling that someone is after me.....
    Val :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a scary one Val :(

      Delete
  3. Very sorry to hear about your son :( I've been estranged from my father for about a year and a half now. As much as I would like to reconcile, he has too much hate and anger in his heart.

    When I was younger, I would have very vivid dreams. A frequently recurring dream as a child was being in the car by myself (my mother running inside a store or someone's home briefly) and the car would start moving. I would panic and have to climb into the driver's seat and attempt to drive it myself. I told my mother about these dreams once when I was much older and learned that, in fact, when I was a baby, my mother had a car that would slip out of park and start to roll off and she had to chase it down once with me inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I often think that we have subconscious memories from when we were babies. We assume that babies don't remember things but this proves they do.

      Delete
  4. In times of stress I either dream of sitting a history paper without doing any revision or I have to cross a very high narrow gang plank with nothing to hang on to. Both wake me up in a cold sweat. Has your daughter tried to help your reconciliation with your son? It must be heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly he has had no contact with her for almost as long. So no, not possible.

      Delete
  5. I love flying dreams! One of my recurring dreams is of a giant wave engulfing my grandmother's house in Kusadasi. Usually the water comes right up the road, but one time the water was all the way up to the gate and the front door. Very scary.
    Lots of my dreams feel like video games -- running around, trying to get things done, many family members about...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x